The Ontario Geographic Names Board
continued letter to L.M. Lein June 21, 1972
research by Mrs. Lacusta
Prior to 1919, the name Cameron's Pool was in use to identify a bay-like portion of the Nipigon River north of where the present day Cameron Falls is located. The earliest use of Cameron's Pool was on the Purdom Township plan, surveyed by O.L.S. B.J. Saunders in 1893. While construction of the Hydro project at Cameron Falls was begun in 1918, the community by that name was not existent until 1920. Robert Bell's report called these rapids Long Rapids on his accompanying map of 1869. The drop was described as 137 feet. The railway station located at Cameron Falls was known as Hydro until changed to agree with the locality name of Cameron Falls in 1939.