Sunday 25 December 2011

BRIDGING FOR THE AUTOMOBILE

A few photos of the Highway Bridge construction
over the Nipigon River, completed in 1937.

You can see the right-of-way cleared beside the CPR tracks.



Work on the footings in mid-river.



This is May 1937 and the bridge opened to traffic in September 1937.


Gapen's Pool just above the bridges, a protected no-fishing zone.
 Lake Helen with the log-boom storage. The Nipigon River flows into Lake Helen
just north of the storage on the left.
The C.N.R tracks are seen under the bridges.
The CNR was built through here in around 1910 and terminated in 2010.
This is a post card from the 1960's, Nipigon Museum Archives.
The logs no longer have the run of the rivers.

4 comments:

  1. Your post was very nicely written. I’ll be back in the future for sure!
    temporary car insurance

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog is very informative. Eating mindfully has been very hard for people these days. It's all because of their busy schedules, work or lack of focus on themselves. As a student I must admit that I have not been eating mindfully but because of this I will start now. It could help me enjoy my food and time alone. Eating mindfully may help me be aware of healthy food and appreciating food.
    pre purchase vehicle inspection

    ReplyDelete