Wednesday 11 January 2012

LYNX

THE LYNX FROM OUR WILDLIFE DISPLAY



Lynx canadensis
Length 40 inches (101.6 cm)
tail 4 inches (10.16 cm)
Food : small mammals, mainly Snowshoe Rabbits

In 1968 I wrote a poem about it called "I Cat". My editor changed it to "Starlit Night"  in my book "Betty Brill's Cry At The Edge Of Forever" PGI 2005.


The snow is scarlet the snow is white
I am alone in the starlit night
The blood of my veins is pulsing delight
As the blood of my kill is staining the white
And I scream forth my triumph
To the dead of the night
This is my instinct, thus I must kill
You can not deny me, try as you will
For I must live and I live to kill
The heat of the race, the capture, the thrill
When there's none to deny me my right to my kill.


Nipigon Historical Museum Wildlife Display
 Courtesy of MNR Nipigon and Lespi Lumber Werks

Photos of live Lynx are now on
http://justnaturallyspeakingtheblog.blogspot.ca 
December 2012 and January 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment