|This is one of the oldest photos we have in our archive of The Nipigon Inn.|
|This is from a post card in Mr. Everette's Album.|
The large building at the bottom right is The Nipigon Inn,
likely in the early 1960's. Note the hedge that runs along front street
|Nipigon Inn, looking down Second Street.|
|The Nipigon Inn was a three storey hotel.|
In later years it was reduced to a two storey hotel.
|This is what it looked like 2011.|
The beginning of December 2011 it was demolished. The last of the big hotels.
|The Ovilio, The International and far right The Nipigon Inn.|
All three were taken down in the past decade.
THE NIPIGON INN
The Nipigon Inn has been a landmrk on the main street for more years than anyone can remember. It is unclear in what year the hotel was constructed. With a large transient population of bush and railroad workers in the early days of Nipigon, the hotel business was lucrative and the tavern was hopping.
On July 1, 1954 the Aboriginal people were first permitted to purchase alcoholic beverages and drink them in licensed outlets.
B. Satten "A Historical Walk Through Nipigon", 2003